Many of my interests are long-standing. I like houses and decorating and gardening. Each spring, we
start some annuals and vegetables from seed in the basement under grow lights. I like OSU basketball,
expecially when we win. I like organ and harpsichord music and medium-hard rock. I like representa-
tional paintings, traditional ballets, and cheerful movies. I read science fiction and non-violent murder
mysteries (I like puzzles, not gore). I can appreciate modern and abstract art but I'm fondest of
Impressionist paintings. Visits to Florence and Rome have made me really appreciate Renaissance
frescos and everything by Michelangelo. Photographs of his statues and the Sistine Chapel just don't
measure up to the reality.
Appendix 1-C: Memo of Introduction
Business Communication Students 3 September 20,
Bob and I like traveling--to state and national parks, US cities, Williamsburg, Disney World, Europe,
and, most recently, Japan. When my professional conferences are in neat places, we try to spend a few
days before or after the conference exploring the city. I had a conference in Kyoto this summer, and we
two weeks touring Japan. (We got around fine, even though we don't read or speak Japanese. People
were very helpful.) Two years ago, we spent three weeks driving through Germany, Austria, and
Belgium with my brother (who lives in Scotland and speaks German); we visited Bob's sister who was
in Brussels at the time. She now lives in Africa, and perhaps someday we'll visit her there.
In 50 years, I've had the opportunity to do many things. The accomplishments which please me most at
this point are
1. Building good communication and problem-solving strategies in my relationship with
2. Playing Titania in a college production of A Midsummer Night's Dream.
3. Being a friend and having good friends.
4. Feeling that the English department at OSU has accepted me and (perhaps) is even
beginning to accept business writing as a legitimate academic discipline.
5. Advising graduate students, and having both of my students on the job market last year
get tenure-track jobs.
6. Being the only person (so far) to receive both the "Outstanding Researcher Award" and
the "Outstanding Teacher Award" from the Association for Business Communication.