Instructor’s Manual Materials to Accompany
COMPUTER SECURITY FUNDAMENTALS
CYBER TERRORISM AND INFORMATION WARFARE
CHAPTER 12 OBJECTIVES
When students finish reading this chapter, they will be able to:
• Explain what cyber terrorism is and how it has been used in some actual cases.
• Understand the basics of information warfare.
• Have a working knowledge of some plausible cyber-terrorism scenarios.
• Have an appreciation for the dangers posed by cyber terrorism.
As the world becomes more dependent upon computer systems, the danger of cyber terrorism will grow. Cyber
terrorism is not a big problem today; it is the problem that is looming on our horizon. There must be a much
stronger emphasis on computer security. In addition to the basic security measures recommended in this book,
this chapter provides recommendations for preparing for and protecting systems against cyber terrorism. This
chapter explores the actual and possible use of computers for terrorism, information warfare, propaganda,
information control, and disinformation. It looks at the history and future trends in cyber terrorism and some steps
to take to combat it.
The major sections in this chapter are
1. Introduction. This section offers a description of cyber terrorism and why it is a growing threat to IT
3. Military Operations Attacks. This section depicts how our military operations could be compromised
through less secure minor systems.