different regulatory environments, a more diverse set of suppliers and competitors, and exposure
to a variety of unfamiliar risks.
International companies require a new type of leader in order to compete successfully in
this complex and dynamic global environment. These global leaders need to not only be
proficient in terms of their business acumen, but to also evidence an array of additional skills.
They must be able to envision the nature and direction of change that is occurring within and
across markets of the world and the implications of these changes for the company’s strategy.
They must evidence cultural understanding and adaptability, rather than being constrained by
experiences only within their home country and culture. They must be able to understand, work
with, and inspire individuals from a range of nations and cultures to create new technologies,
businesses, and organizations.
Suggestions and Comments
1. Often students and others assume that global leadership is the same as regular leadership, with
some great travel added. The important message of this chapter is that, due to the added
complexities of the international context, global leadership is exceedingly complex.
2. Guest speakers who can explain how the complex environment increases the challenges of
global leadership would add to the student appreciation of this topic. Perhaps you have access
to UN or other NGO administrators, international division officers of major companies, etc.
2 Lecture Outline
I. The Global Mindset
A. intellectual intelligence, including business acumen
B. global emotional intelligence, including self-awareness, cross-cultural understanding,
cultural adjustment, and cross-cultural effectiveness
II. What is Global Leadership and why is it important?
A. Differentiation of management and leadership (Warren Bennis)
B. How Global Leadership Differs from Domestic Leadership
1. Four dimensions of complexity: multiplicity, ambiguity, interdependence and
2. Globalization increases both internal and external complexities
3. Global leadership is the same but different in kind from domestic leadership
III. What competencies are required for effective global leadership?
A. Selecting and Developing Effective Global Leaders
1. Same skills as domestic leader needed plus additional global skills
2. more significant impact of emotional stability, ability to learn, and
decision-making and negotiating skills for global leaders than for domestic