Module 06 - You-Attitude
6.5 Why do sentences starting “We give you” lack you-attitude? (LO 6-1, LO 6-2)
6.6 Think of a time when you felt a business cared about you. What words or actions made
you feel that way? (LO 6-1, LO 6-2)
6.7 Why doesn’t the word you always create you-attitude? (LO 6-2)
In three specific situations, using the word you does not create you-attitude:
In a positive message, focus on what the reader can do. “We give you” lacks you-attitude
because the sentence focuses on what we are doing.
6.8 Using Passives and Impersonal Constructions to Improve You-Attitude (LO 6-1)
1. You did not part your car in the appropriate lot.
The car was not parked in the appropriate lot.
2. You did not turn in the correct receipts for reimbursement.
The correct receipts were not turned in for reimbursement.
3. Because of your error, you cost this company $14,000 in extra charges.
The company was charged $14,000 in extra costs.
4. You did not provide a portfolio showing relevant work samples for this job.
Work samples were provided that are not relevant.
5. You did not submit your weekly report on time to your supervisor.
The weekly report was not submitted on time.
© 2014 by McGraw-Hill Education. This is proprietary material solely for authorized instructor use. Not authorized for sale or distribution in any
manner. This document may not be copied, scanned, duplicated, forwarded, distributed, or posted on a website, in whole or part.