Module 05 - Designing Documents, Slides, and Screens
5.8 Evaluating Page Designs (LO 5-1)
a. In the top pair, the one on the right uses photos that fill the grid and also puts headings in
the grid. White space is improved in the margins. In the bottom pair, the one on the right
contains many improvements. White space is improved by using bigger margins. The
number of fonts is reduced from five to two: a sans serif style for the headlines and a serif
5.9 Improving a Financial Aid Form (LO 5-1)
This problem works well as a collaborative assignment. Put students in large groups to
Some of the things which are unclear in the form will have to be assumed. For example, Kitty
assumes that less-than-full-time status matters only for college students and that information on
support for the academic year can be replaced with information on dependents for tax purposes.
This original document has at least 15 problems:
1. The year isn’t clear. Are people supposed to fill it out for the current year or for the year
the student will receive aid? Presumably the latter is what the office wants. The problem
2. There isn’t enough room to write in names.
3. The terms “full-time,” “half-time,” and “less than half-time” are confusing. Some
schools just have courses, not hours. Elementary, middle, and high school students may
4. The form asks parents to return it “to the above address,” but no address is given.
5. No due date is given.
6. The form buries the information that the financial aid application will not be processed
© 2014 by McGraw-Hill Education. This is proprietary material solely for authorized instructor use. Not authorized for sale or distribution in any
manner. This document may not be copied, scanned, duplicated, forwarded, distributed, or posted on a website, in whole or part.