Module 16 - Revising Sentences and Paragraphs
16.14 Using Topic Sentences (LO 16-5)
Student answers will vary. Here are likely ones.
1. Business slang flourishes at companies with rich corporate cultures. At Disney
World, a lunch put on expense account is “on the mouse.” McDonald’s employees “have
2. We’ll act on three items at the meeting. The first item on the agenda is the hiring for
the coming year. George has also asked that we review the agency goals for the next
fiscal year. We should cover this early in the meeting since it may affect our hiring
3. You can reduce the amount of solid waste your household produces in four ways.
Separate materials that can be recycled from your regular trash. Pass along old clothing,
toys, or appliances to someone else who can use them. When you purchase products,
16.15 Writing Paragraphs (LO 16-5)
The challenge in this assignment comes not from writing the paragraphs but from accurately
labeling the topic sentences, active verbs, and parallel structure and from editing.
Polishing Your Prose: Commas in Lists (Odd-numbered answers are in the back of the
Several answers are possible. Here are likely ones.
2. Raises for directors, supervisors, and managers will be 2.3, 2.5, and 2.2 percent, respectively.
4. David said that we need pens, pencils, erasers, notepads, folders, paperclips, note cards, and
name tages for the strategic planning retreat.