8. Why is the direct order generally used in the shorter reports? When is the indirect order desirable
for such reports? (LO2)
9. Describe a situation in which you would use short-report format rather than email format for an
internal report. Why would you choose the short-report format? (LO3)
Student answers will vary. Short-report format typically is used for short, informal reports submitted to
10. Describe a situation in which you would prepare a memo report rather than an email report for an
internal report. Why would you choose the memo format? (L03)
11. What kinds of information might go into routine operational reports for different kinds of
organizations? Why would these organizations need this information regularly? (L04)
The answers will vary depending on the kinds of companies your students are familiar with, but such
12. Given what you’ve learned about progress reports, suggest a general structure for these reports.
What might go into the beginning? What might the middle parts be? What would the conclusion do?
Of course the plan can vary with the situation, but here is a common order:
The opening clearly identifies what project the report concerns and makes an overall statement assessing