Critical Thinking Questions
1. Identify and explain the steps in the writing process. (LO1)
See pages 22 – 28 in the text.
2. Think about a writing project that you recently completed. Using the terminology in
this chapter, describe the process that you used. How might using different strategies have
made the project more pleasant and productive? What helpful strategies did you use, if
any, that were not mentioned in this chapter? (LO1)
Evaluate each student’s answer in terms of its use of terminology and its detail.
3. Think about a letter you received or wrote recently, and explain why it was
appropriate to use a letter in this situation. (LO2)
Most students will think of a letter they received from or wrote to an external audience
(insurance company, sales letter, etc.), but some may cite formal letters from internal parties (for
4. Will hard-copy letters and memos diminish in importance given the prevalence of
email in the workplace? Become obsolete? Vanish? (LO3)
Of course, no one really knows the answer. Letters and memos may diminish in importance, but
they won’t vanish, because they meet a need for formal internal and external correspondence that
5. Discuss the reasons for social networking’s phenomenal growth. Do you use social
media for business purposes? If so, how? Describe what works well and what does not.
Social networking has advantages over other forms of communication. It is fast, convenient,
time-saving, efficient, and effective. What will be interesting is to see how parameters are