17.6 Redesign the footing in problem 17.5 using traditonal flexure and shear methods as
described in Chapter 15. Compare your solution to Problem 17.5 and comment on your results.
1. Soil bearing is provided so no check of WSD is needed and step 1 is omitted.
2. Check punching shear. This check often sets the thickness of the footing.
3. Check slab shear.
4. Design flexural reinforcement.
5. Check bond and development length.
6. Check bearing stress under the column, especially if the column concrete strength is
greater than the footing concrete strength.
7. Check temperature and minimum steel requirements and sketch final design.
2. Check Punching (two-way) Shear
d h 4.0in32 in
4" difference between h and d reflects 3" cover and
1 to center of bars in two layers. H is less than the 36"